FIRST in Texas: Building a Learning Collaborative for Robotics Teachers
Our mission is to strengthen, support and sustain educational robotics programs in Texas offered during school and out of school time through content that is aligned to state standards, content specific curriculum, innovative professional learning communities, collaborative research and evaluation efforts.
FIRST in Texas has a vision for education which supports the transformation of the 21st century learning environment by offering:
• Cutting edge customizable hands on professional learning experiences
• Connecting educators to each other and industry
• Providing innovative resources that give educators the best understanding of how robots can be used as a vehicle to improve interest and academic achievement in science, math and computer science career pathways.
• Turnkey – ability to purchase kits separately
Well suited for schools, districts-wide needs, and individual educators
Teaching and Learning Robotics Workshops for Educators
Robot P.A.L. (Professional Alliance of Leaders) Academies are communities of like-minded educators armed with the skills necessary to integrate coding and robotics into their classrooms. Our workshop series is an effective way for schools, non-profits and home school educators to embark upon developing program leaders, teachers and out of school time mentors that value
- Standards based activities
- Flexible implementation and assessment
- High quality instruction that enhances student’s ability to think critically in subjects.
Robot PAL for LEGO® MINDSTORMS® is a four part series that introduces educators to essential elements of robotics: construction, coding, collaboration and competition.
FIRST in Texas Education – Mindstorms Robot P.A.L. Academies:
Recommended: Educators for Grades: 4th-8th Grades
Aligned to Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS)
Advanced Courses Available
- Data & Machine Learning using LEGO® MINDSTORMS® EV3 Data Logging
- Beyond Drag & Drop: C-based Coding for EV3 (RobotC or EV3Python)
FIRST in Texas Professional Development Educational Series
Robot WeDo Academies Series:
6-Hour Professional Development
Recommended:Educators for Grades: 4th-8th Grades
- FIRST LEGO LEAGUE Jr. Basics for the Classroom Educator
- Science Process Skill with LEGO WeDo2 Robots
- Leveling Language Arts- WeDo2 I-Stories
- Teaching Math & Science with WeDo2
Out of School Academies Courses:
- 1. Lesson Planning for After School Robotics
- 2. Numeracy & Literacy in After School Robotics
- 3. Teaching Social Emotional Learning through Robotics
Leadership Academies Courses:
- More Than Robot-Creating Thematic Units for FLL/ FLL Jr.
- Managing Robotics Classrooms, Communities & Competitions
- Think. Plan. Act. Robotics: A Framework for Teaching Robotics
- A School-wide Approach to STEM Robotics
FIRST® Certified Professional Development
FIRST Certified Professional Development is available for FIRST LEGO League Jr., FIRST LEGO League, and FIRSTTech Challenge and can be offered on site at your location or at one of our centrally located options. Learn more.