FIRST® has long worked to be an inclusive program, providing access to exciting robotics programming to students with special needs and disabilities. FIRST staff, mentors, and students are provided with Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion training to educate and provide strategies for creating a more inclusive and diverse environment:
- Youth Training: https://info.firstinspires.org/youth-edi-training
- Adult Training: https://info.firstinspires.org/inspiring-success
FIRST, in collaboration with Kids Included Together (KIT), created webinar training focusing on providing coaches and mentors with a better understanding of some of the challenges youth with disabilities face, and how to create a more welcoming and comfortable environment for everyone on their FIRST teams.
- I Can Be Inclusive Too e-Course – These interactive Inclusion tools will provide practical steps to achieve your disability inclusion goals and help you feel confident in understanding inclusion, creating accommodations, supporting and responding positively to behavior challenges and creating supportive environments. Through these videos, we will highlight a path of resources and supports to access at time of need. Participants will leave with several resources, learn from videos, and scenario demonstrations helping to build staff confidence and competence in supporting all youth at your program!
- Creating a Sense of Belonging – For youth with autism spectrum disorder
- Inclusive Recruitment and Enrollment Strategies webinar
- Tip Sheets