FIRST® Tech Challenge (7th-12th Grade) teams of up to 15 students, grades 7-12, are challenged to design, build, program, and operate robots to compete in a head-to-head challenge in an alliance format. Guided by adult Coaches and Mentors, students develop STEM skills and practice engineering principles (like keeping an engineering notebook), while realizing the value of hard work, innovation, and sharing ideas. The robot kit is reusable from year-to-year and can be coded using a variety of levels of Java-based programming. Teams also must raise funds, design and market their team brand, and do community outreach to earn specific awards. Participants have access to over $80 million in college scholarships.
- $275 – Team Registration (annual dues)
- $477-$545 – Competition Set (various kits available, re-usable each year)
- $420 – Control Communications Set ($180) & Electronics & Sensors Set($240) (reusable each year)
- $400 – Miscellaneous Parts & Tools (may be reusable each year)
- $200 – $400 – Tournament registration fees (varies by Event and Region)
- Recommended optional purchases: FTC Field Set (~$1000, reusable), Game Elements (up to $500, new each year)
- $300 – $1,000 (optional) – Team apparel, meals, presentation materials, promotional items for team spirit, etc.
- Other costs include travel if the event is out of town plus room and board for 1-2 days; competitions are typically single day events
- Additional Costs if team qualifies for World Championship
- Opens May
- Typically closes early November
- New game announced in September
- Register Here!
- League Play & Qualifiers typically start in late fall (2020-2021 season remote qualifiers will vary from area/region. Speak to your local Program Delivery Partner for details)
- Regional Championship in late fall/early spring (Program dates will vary by area/region. Speak to your local Program Delivery Partner for details)
- State Championship in late spring before World Festival
- World Championship in late April (except 2021 Season which will be held in late July 2021)
- Visit our Calendar to find an event near you.